First established in 2000 at the World Summit Against Cancer, held in Paris, World Cancer Day is aimed at raising awareness against the disease responsible for thousands of deaths yearly. It is an international day marked yearly to encourage treatment, prevention and support of those diagnosed with cancer.
Key facts from the Union of International Cancer Control:
- Cancer is the second-leading cause of death in the world, causing at least 10 million deaths per year;
- At least one-third of common cancers are preventable;
- 70% of cancer deaths occur in low-to-middle income countries;
- Up to 3.7 million lives could be saved each year by implementing resource, appropriate strategies for prevention, early detection and treatment.
Although around one-third of cancer cases can be prevented by reducing behavioural and dietary risks, there are some risk factors like age, genetics and weak immune system which can’t be adjusted.
- Alcohol: The consumption of alcohol increases the risk of bowel cancer, breast, mouth, pharynx and larynx, oesophageal, liver and stomach cancer.
- Obesity and overweight
- Diet and nutrition: Experts suggest that diets and nutritional intake, particularly diets high in red meats, processed meats, salted foods and low in fruits and vegetables have an impact on cancer risks, particularly colorectum, nasopharynx and stomach.
- Lack of exercise
- Tobacco: Tobacco smoke contains at least 80 different cancer-causing substances (carcinogenic agents). When smoke is inhaled the chemicals enter the lungs, pass into the bloodstream and are transported throughout the body. Tobacco use is responsible for around 22% of cancer deaths.
- Exposure to radiation from prolonged use of x-ray, gamma rays and tanning beds
- Unusual lump and swelling
- Sudden weight loss, loss of appetite and fatigue
- Sore and ulcer that won’t heal
- Heavy night sweat
- Hormone therapy
- Gene therapy
The treatment of cancer and survivor journey of its patient is tedious and long. Show support and love to those fighting this battle.
WE ARE CREATIVE WRITERS and WE WILL TAKE ACTION AGAINST CANCER